23 August 2012

500 Miles

IMG_9941

It's Thursday, which is kind of crazy to think about. I've survived my first week of teaching, my first day of faculty/staff meetings, and am ready for a weekend of equal parts work and recreation. Life is settling, slowly but surely, though I've not yet reached that point where anything seems quotidian; rather, it seems as though I'm living someone else's life right now, trying it on as it were. It's a turn of phrase that is appropriate, I guess, as a metaphor. I'm trying on life here in St. Louis, experimenting with who I'll become over time. 

I'm approaching this as something of a luxury, a spoil of moving to a new city in which one knows nary a soul. I'm pondering whether such a move is an act of bravery (as described by students earlier in the week as they contemplated the notion of a cold move) or as an act of selfishness, to allow oneself to be so untethered to drift from place to place to place. I'm just pondering, really, and am unsure I'll arrive to any kind of conclusion, particularly because it's a moot question. I'm here. Becoming. 


2 comments:

  1. Good luck! Your new place looks beautiful. I think it's definitely an act of bravery, and while it definitely is freeing to shake of the trappings and accumulations of a previous city, it's also pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I'll post pictures of the space with crap in it at some point, I swear.

      Definitely scary, but I'm trying not to focus on that. It's not the first time I've done this whole "move to a new city where you know NO ONE" thing. It'll be okay. (That's the mantra, at least.)

      Delete