12 January 2011

First of the Lasts


Bloomington finally got some snow. Lots of it. I took the above picture leaving class last night, around 9pm. This is after an entire day of steady snow. It's lovely, really, although I'm sure there are many who don't agree with me. 

Today was the first day of the last (barring a summer appointment) class I will teach here at IU. It's strange to think that I've been here for four years, as long as I taught first and second grades. Four years. A decent chunk of my life. After spending last semester working on a research project, I was thrilled to be back in the classroom, albeit small and in no way appropriate for the twenty-six bodies that attempt to learn in the space. While I wouldn't do graduate school again had I the choice, I continue because I do love the teaching. I love working with pre-service teachers and stretching their thinking. I love working hard to prepare them even better than I was prepared. (And I had some amazing teachers in my undergraduate and graduate programs.) I love coming to know them and seeing them in their own classrooms, long after they have left my teaching space. I need to remember this when I look for positions. I like the teaching. I can do the research, but the teaching is what is going to keep me in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment