11 January 2011

Snow Day


This is my road, just a few minutes ago. It started snowing last night and hasn't quite let up yet. This is unfortunate as I have several meetings to make this afternoon, but hopefully the snowplow will have been through at least once by the time I need to leave. 

I did spend some time this morning, once my class syllabus was finished, putting the final touches on Captain Jack's hat. (Yes, I am still knitting things for the holidays. Still. Shameful, I know.) 


It's something of an adaptation of the Cheery Scrap Hat from the Winter 2009 issue of Petite Purls. With a nickname like Captain Jack, I figured a hat with skulls on it is appropriate, although that was about where my following a pattern ended. While I like the skulls, I'm not in love with them; rather, I found myself more enamored with the impromptu colorwork I did above, drawing partially from the chart provided and imagining some while watching It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve. (Yes, it's been sitting in my bag awaiting finishing for that long... double shame!) I did crochet a single edging all the way around the hat (flaps are a little wonky - it's homemade and I'm a new crocheter. That is my story and I am sticking to it), and finally had a chance to use my Clover pom-pom maker, which might be my new favoritest thing ever. 



Now to finish the good Captain's sister's mittens. They just need thumbs and then can be shipped on their way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment