24 January 2010

State of the Nick



My desk is a mess right now. Wait, scratch that: my life is something of a mess right now. Does that mean my mind is overly organized?

Grad school is chugging along, the classes, the teaching, the interning, the writing. There's a lot on my plate at the moment, like a fat kid at a buffet. I can say that. I used to be a fat kid who went to the buffet. There have been a few curve balls: a class not making, leaving me with a hole in my semester's schedule; the internship I filled that empty space with; a conference coming up in February a bit more quickly than I would like. All in all, it's just another semester.



In non-studying / reading / writing / teaching moments, I've been spending a lot of time in front of the sewing machine. I've got it bad. The sewing bug, that is. I've still got yarn and needles going, but find myself alternating between the sewing machine and the needles. And above - oh, the above! I drove to Franklin, IN last weekend to hit up Clementine's Dry Goods, who carries the entire Hope Valley line, and walked out with the fabrics above. Five prints from Denyse, all in the New Day colorway, and three yards of an Amy Butler solid I just couldn't resist. I normally don't buy all the fabrics for a project at once  and found myself so distracted by them while driving, I had to move them to the back seat. I didn't want to drive off the road.

That, however, is a project I won't be getting to any time soon. I've got two decently big sewing projects in the works, a mitten on the needles, and a Lizard Ridge that will be finished before April. (It's a goal!) I'm envisioning my Hope Valley zig zag as an after-quals, pre-data collection activity, a measure of crafty sanity in the midst of graduate school insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment