21 March 2010

I Won't Worry


Back in the spring of 2004, I would leave my tiny apartment in Mason-Abbott Hall in the wee small hours of the morning and make my way into the heart of Lansing for a day of teaching. I was loving what I was doing: my second graders were awesome, my cooperating teacher was amazing, and I was teaching pretty much all day. Teaching well, I might add. That twenty  minute drive into Lansing proper, however, was an anxious one. With Spring came the end of the school year, meaning I would need to find a teaching position, preferably in my beloved Mitten State. It wasn't a good time to be a beginning teacher in Michigan - the cuts that are now ravaging the system were just beginning and positions were few and far between. My ulcer had kicked into overdrive and I was sending both resumes and graduate school applications into the ether. Anxiety ruled those days. 

During that twenty minute drive, Jason Mraz's The Remedy (I Won't Worry) would often come across the Lansing airwaves and it became something of an anthem. Don't worry the time away. Everything works out. I would sing loudly, alone in my Ford Taurus, and some of the tenseness would leave my shoulders. 

And things did work out. I found a teaching job, a job I loved, and friends and began building a life. I left said job for graduate school. I'm preparing to leave graduate school in a little over a year. The song, it's back. Things will work out again, won't they? 

No comments:

Post a Comment